Corporate Social Responsibility
Jackson Stephen LLP has an active Corporate Social Responsibility programme, led by Managing Partner, Diane Brennan. Our programme and policies are focused around our clients, team, suppliers, local community and environment.
In 2018 we will focus our time and energy supporting local initiatives and charities.
We are proud to be associated with two local charities:
- Age Concern, supporting lonely elderly people in our local community
- Warrington Youth Club assisting young people with their social development and helping them to increase their skills, self-awareness and confidence, enabling them to make positive life choices
We encourage charitable participation throughout the firm by offering staff additional leave entitlement to support these charities.
Our community involvement
Many of the firm’s partners are individually involved with numerous charities and not-for-profit organisations either as trustees, governors, board members, or volunteers. Each year the Practice provides work experience and summer internships to several students from local schools, colleges and universities. We also:
- Attend numerous local careers fairs held in local schools, colleges and universities throughout the year
- Attend local business exhibitions
- Support local businesses with free added value seminars throughout the year in conjunction with the local chambers of commerce
- Hold charity fundraising events including, dress down days, bike rides, Macmillan coffee mornings and Christmas jumper days
Supporting the accounting profession
Jackson Stephen’s Accountants Network “#OneConnect” supports local accounting professionals with free CPD workshops and is designed to bring together local accounting professionals to discuss new accounting requirements, current tax planning opportunities and to share best practice. There is also an opportunity to network with fellow professionals.
Our employees are the lifeblood of our business and one of the reasons for our success. Our team are passionate about our clients’ businesses and are dedicated to providing excellent advice and service, going above and beyond our clients’ expectations, ensuring they reach their goals, aims and ambitions. This is evidenced by our client feedback questionnaires. In 2016/17 99% of clients rated our quality of service as very good or excellent.
Ensuring our employees are happy is of paramount importance to the Practice and we are dedicated to the health and wellbeing of our employees. We actively encourage our teams to engage in wellness initiatives inside and outside of work. We have regular activities such as themed lunches, groove and jive sessions, yoga, pool competitions, sports teams such as five-a-side, netball and a walking club. We also have an active social scene outside of work.
We also offer our team flexible working hours and the opportunity to work from home.
Last year Jackson Stephen introduced an Employee of the Quarter Award which is presented to an employee nominated by their colleagues in recognition of their efforts and achievements.
Each year our employees are asked to participate in an employee engagement survey. The results of these surveys helps us to gain a deep understanding of our business, employee attitudes and perceptions of the practice and creates a better understanding of our culture and the wellbeing of our employees. This in turn this leads to increased employee engagement, a feeling of belonging and employee loyalty.
We have been working hard to reduce the impact of our activities on the environment. We:
- Actively encourage home working where possible to help reduce our carbon footprint
- Encourage car sharing and cycle to work schemes
- Use document management systems which enable staff to edit and approve letters on screen avoiding the need for draft copies printed on paper
- Promote the use email / online client portal rather than paper / printed communications
- Double-side print documents
- Recycle waste including, cardboard, metal, wood and plastic
- Paper is treated as confidential waste and is shredded before being sent for recycling
- Reduce the volume of waste, using recycled paper for printers and photocopiers
- Dispose of obsolete computer equipment and office furniture through proper channels often, where possible, donating this to local charities and ensuring nothing goes to landfill sites
- Recycle all toners from our printers and photocopiers
- Invest in new energy efficient LED lighting units
- Configure appliances to reduce water usage
- Work with environmentally-conscious suppliers and distributors
- Encourage staff to turn off electrical items and lighting when not in use
- Encourage the purchase of electric / hybrid partner cars